In each of our programs, we strive to play, learn, and grow, and to build relationships to the land, each other, and ourselves through meaningful learning opportunities in a natural environment. Our team of dedicated and enthusiastic facilitators loves to learn alongside your child while they explore their curiosities and wonder at the ever-changing environment. We ask guiding questions that help to deepen a child’s curiosity and encourage opportunities to build confidence, resilience, and self-regulation. We do this through a child-led and play-based approach, and we follow an inquiry- or interest-based emergent curriculum (we dig deeper when and where there is interest with no predetermined “plan”). Register for one of our programs today and discover how Kingston Forest & Nature School can help build not only your child’s but your family’s connection to our beautiful, natural world!
Play, learn & grow with us. Here are some of the many things we like to do:
- interact with natural elements & loose parts
- learn about the local flora & fauna we interact with
- watch for & listen to the creatures around us
- chase questions, nurture wonder
- tell stories, sing, dance, play
- create imaginary worlds
- explore numeracy & literacy concepts woven into play & emergent curiosities
- incorporate Indigenous land-based knowledge
- acquire knowledge about wild edibles & medicinal plants, including essential oils & herbal remedies
- use nature to inspire our playing & creating
- build structures & craft with natural materials
- engage in child-inspired projects & experiments
- learn safety & age-appropriate risk-taking
- use tools to build & create, including fires, shelters, and more
- encourage weather resilience
- practise conflict resolution skills
- promote confidence & responsibility through “hands-off” learning approach
- explore positive mental health strategies & mindfulness
Kingston Forest & Nature School currently offers pre-registered programming for children ~2-10 years old, and drop-in programming for children of all ages. All pre-registered programming will adhere to a maximum 1:8 staff to participant ratio – these small group sizes allow for a deeper connection to each other, to ourselves, and to the natural places where our programming takes place.
Please read our WINTER 2021 UPDATE for specific program descriptions, fees, and upcoming session dates.
*KFNS programming is “rain or shine”, however we reserve the right to cancel programming in extreme or unsafe weather conditions.
*KFNS does not run programming on holidays or during the two-week school break between December and January.